Monday, November 29, 2010

MY FAVORITE "I AM" STATEMENT

What is your favorite “I am” statement? Bible scholars teach that there are five times in which Jesus revealed himself as: “I am…” I am the gate, the good shepherd, the light, the vine, and the bread. Of course, the importance of these various “I am” statements is in relationship to the Old Testament pronouncement made to Moses by God when Moses asked, “Who should I say has sent me…”, and God responded, “tell them “I am” has sent you…” Because we understand that Jesus is God, then it seems reasonable to connect the dots in such a way as to picture Jesus likewise revealing himself as: “I am”.

Which one is your favorite? Do you see him as the Vine? The one in whom we must remain attached in order to produce fruit. If we do not produce fruit, we are cut off… pruned away.

Do you favor Jesus pictured as a Shepherd? A shepherd is willing to protect his sheep no matter what. The shepherd is willing to give his very own life to save the sheep. Certainly, there are some of you who will appreciate this particular “I am” revelation.

I personally like “the Gate”… “I am the gate”… In this “I am” statement Jesus clearly again points out the truth that he alone is the only way to be saved. Whether you agree with him or not, I do not know. But, what I do know is that Jesus believed himself to be the solitary path. He, at another time, announces to Nicodemus, “No one comes to the Father except through me.”

Each of these five provides their own unique perspective on the person of Jesus Christ. Pastors, Bible College Professors, and Sunday School teachers alike can find much valuable material in these lessons. Christians can also find a blessing to suit most any need. Do you need light when in a dark place? Jesus is the Light. Do you feel the need for nourishment in your soul? Jesus is the Bread.

However, I would tell you that though each of these “I am’s” are special and you can certainly be blessed by understanding and applying them to your life… None of these are my favorite “I am”. No, friend, there is another less notable “I am” to which I am drawn. There is another which ignites in me feelings that are hard to put into words. There is one to which all others are attached. If you take this one away, all of the others no longer matter. If you remove this favorite of mine, it matters not that he is the Light; for, I will never receive its benefit. If this “I am” is gone, then he can’t be the Gate, and I remain outside the fold. In the absence of this one, I starve to death for there is no Bread. What is this all important, preeminent “I am”?

It is found not in the Gospels, but in the Hebrew letter, chapter 10, verse 7. Then I said, “Here I am--it is written about me in the scroll-- I have come to do your will, O God.”

Did you see it? Right there it is… the most important “I am” of all. "Here I am." Had not Jesus willing and deliberately offered himself to do the will of the Father in response to the Divine plan of Salvation… had he refused… had he blown up the Oneness of the Trinity… had Jesus, who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant… humbled himself and became obedient to death-- even death on a cross! - Philippians 2:6-8 -… had Jesus refused to be: Here I am… I have come to do your will. We, each and every one of us, would be hopelessly, helplessly, lost.

My favorite “I am” is his “Here I am”. With every lash from a Roman whip, “Here I am”. With every step up the Via Dolorosa, “Here I am”. With every blow that drove hard cold steel through his flesh, “Here I am”. In the midst of rejection and betrayal, “Here I am”. And finally, into the Heavenly Holy of Holies… “Here I am”.

My favorite is: “Here I am”.

No comments:

Post a Comment