Friday, May 15, 2009

THE ANOINTING - Part IV: Conclusion

I’m afraid that the reason we may seek the anointing instead of a baptism is because we are carnal. We are unwilling to abandon the world. I believe that we intuitively understand that if we are going to have the New Testament baptism, self has to die. And the dragon of self is mighty indeed. It is difficult to slay. You can knock it down, but it gets up time and time again. You can try to run away from it, but it will incessantly chase you down. But if we seek the anointing of the Old Covenant, the dragon of self need not die; it can live on. The Old Covenant allowed the anointing to be placed upon those in whom self not only lived, but thrived.

The Apostle Paul would have none of that which permitted self to continue on the throne of his life. But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. - Galatians 6:14, 2:20

There is one and only one method to eradicate self. There is only one way known to man to exterminate the vile monster of self. Be assured that no organization of man can bring down the sanctuary that safeguards the trophies of self. The celebrity of self that parades itself in our mirrors everyday must be thoroughly abolished. The only way to accomplish this deed in to take it all, every last bit, to the Cross of Jesus Christ. And there, and there alone, it must be crucified. It must die. This is the Baptism into Jesus Christ - Romans 6:3.

In an effort to avoid misunderstanding, what exactly do we mean when we speak of “self”. What is this thing that must be vanquished? It is that mysterious something deep within that sets itself up as god. It is that thing that must have control at the expense of everything and everyone else. It is that desire that rises up out of us and demands to be satisfied. It is better than others. It is master. It is lord. It is the idol god of self. It is self worship.

The good news is that the one that is willing to take it to the Cross will find a victory like no other. The individual that takes the path that terminates at the Great Wooden Beam on which Jesus breathed his last will find redemption there. They will find deliverance there. They will find freedom there. And those that discover the empty tomb will find a risen Savior who can save completely all that come to God through Him. Those that struggle in the conflict against self will find Jesus to be their Captain of the Faith… the Rewarder of the those who diligently and earnestly seek Him. Once emptied of self, they will find themselves filled with the glorious presence - Christ in us, the hope of Glory. Paul writes to the Church in Rome: What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God - through Jesus Christ our Lord! - Romans 7:24-25.

I want no anointing that allows the old man to live. I need no external presence of God to visit my praise. What I need most is victory over the false god called self. And, that victory can only come from Jesus - a gift of grace - received by faith. Thanks be to God… I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live but Christ lives in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment